The Jonestown Report, Volume 19
- You can now read my contributions to the latest Jonestown Report – ‘Leaving Jonestown’ (a personal essay) and ‘Danger Cycle’ (an excerpt from my forthcoming novel).
Ned Kelly Awards
- So excited that The Love of a Bad Man has been shortlisted for the Ned Kelly Award for Best First Fiction. Winners across all categories will be announced on September 1st.
EWF Short Story Masterclass
- Together with Ali Alizadeh and Melanie Cheng, I’ll be presenting a session on short story collections and the publishing industry, as part of Emerging Writers Festival’s full day short story masterclass. Details of the program and how to book are here.
Queenscliffe Literary Festival
- I’ll be chatting about my collection of short stories with Maria Takolander, author of The Double (and Other Stories), at Queenscliffe Literary Festival on May 14. Hope you can join us!
Asialink Arts Residency 2017
- I’m thrilled to announce that I’ve been awarded a 2017 Asialink Arts Residency, and I will be spending nine weeks at Jakarta’s Komunitas Salihara starting this September. Thank you to Asialink and the Australia-Indonesia Insitute.
Noir Literature Festival – New Delhi
- I will be appearing at the Noir Literature Festival in New Delhi from January 27-29, 2017. Check out their website for more information about the programme and speakers.
Victorian Premier’s Literary Awards 2017 Shortlist
- My short story collection The Love of a Bad Man has been shortlisted for the 2017 Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for fiction! The winner will be announced on January 31. In the meantime, read about the award here.
KSP Scholarship Writer-in-Residence
- Thank you to the Katharine Susannah Prichard Writers’ Centre for awarding me a 2017 residency! I will be starting my residency in April, and taking part in an author talk at Mundaring Library on May 9. Read more about KSP and my fellow writers in residence here.
The Jonestown Report, Volume 18
- I have three literary contributions in the latest Jonestown Report – ‘Marceline‘, a story from The Love of a Bad Man; ‘Born Again‘, an excerpt from my novel-in-progress; and ‘Two Women‘, a note about the creation of both pieces.
The Morning Bell Podcast
- I joined Joel Martin and Ian Laking for episode 38 of The Morning Bell podcast. Listen here for our convo about antiheroes, Stranger Things, horse-whispering teen dramas, and other stimulating topics (also giggling).
★★★★★ ALPHA Reader Review
- Danielle Binks of ALPHA Reader has just published a five-star review of The Love of a Bad Man, along with an author Q&A.
Hot Chicks with Big Brains Interview
- Bri Lee of Hot Chicks with Big Brains chatted to me in my home office about my new book and work-in-progress. Watch the interview below.
Interview with The Guardian
- I spoke to The Guardian about my new book The Love of a Bad Man, which hit Australian bookshelves this week. Check out the interview here.
The Love of a Bad Man Launch
- Join me at Readings, Carlton on September 15 for the launch of my debut short fiction collection The Love of a Bad Man. Hosted by Jo Case.
Epiphany Magazine Contest Issue
- My novel chapter ‘Children of the Revolution’ was chosen as runner-up in Epiphany Magazine’s ‘Writers Under 30’ contest, judged by Vicky Bijur. You can pick up a copy of the issue here, and read my interview with Epiphany here.
Literary Hub: the best of the literary internet
- My article on researching Peoples Temple – previously published in the Jonestown Report and Kill Your Darlings – has just been featured on Lit Hub. Read here.
Interview with The Suburban Review
- I recently did a Q&A with The Suburban Review about my Vol 6. contribution and more. Read it here.
Betanarratives ‘Body Language’ Goes Live
- Betanarratives ‘Body Language’ is an interactive multimedia game featuring stories about different body parts. My story ‘Legs’ was made into a short film by Angeline Armstrong. Watch/ read/ play Body Language here.
Meanjin Guest Blog
- Meanjin asked me about my favorite online literary fixes. Here‘s what I came up with.
The Jonestown Report, Volume 17
- It’s that time of the year when the Jonestown Report comes out, and this year I’ve made three contributions: a personal essay, a research article (with a personal bent), and my award-winning story ‘Soybeans‘.
Interview with Prairie Schooner
- Here’s an interview I did with Prairie Schooner, re: my contest-winning essay ‘Working Girl’ and other things that have been happening.
Two-book deal with Scribe
- Scribe Publications have acquired the AU/NZ rights for my short story collection The Love of a Bad Man and my novel-in-progress Beautiful Revolutionary. Read all about the deal here.
Prairie Schooner 2015 Summer Nonfiction Contest
- I’ve just been announced as the winner of Prairie Schooner’s Summer Nonfiction competition. Read more about the prize here.
Award Winning Australian Writing 2015
- My John Marsden/ Hachette Prize-winning story ‘Soybeans’ has been republished in 2015’s Award Winning Australian Writing. Get a copy of the anthology here.
Script Pipeline 2015 TV Writing Contest
- I’m very new to screenwriting, so really wasn’t expecting to make it to the semifinals of Script Pipeline’s TV Writing Contest. My TV pilot Beautiful Revolutionary (also being worked on as a novel) has been selected as one of the top 30 of over 1,500 entries. Read the full list here.
Melbourne Writers Festival Guest Blogger
- I wrote a guest blog post for Melbourne Writers Festival, all about my current research in America for my new novel Beautiful Revolutionary. Read it here.
Melbourne Writers Festival’s 30 Under 30
- I am hugely honored to have been chosen as one of thirty young writers to represent MWF on its 30th anniversary. MWF is currently running a Pozible campaign with the aim of sending us to other literary festivals around the world, so please donate generously if you can!
Sycamore Review 2015 Flashcard Contest
- An excerpt from my new novel-in-progress was shortlisted for Sycamore Review‘s 2015 Flashcard Contest. Read more about the prize here.
Interview with The Northsider
- I was one of four authors from Melbourne’s north side to be interviewed by The Northsider recently. You can find the interview here.
John Marsden/ Hachette Prize for Fiction
- Topping off what has been an amazing year in writing, I’m overjoyed to have earned first place in the 2014 John Marsden/ Hachette Prize for Young Writers in the 18-24 short fiction category. My prize-winning story ‘Soybeans’ can be read in Voiceworks #99.
Award Winning Australian Writing 2014
- I’m very proud to have my short story ‘Fireflowers’, winner of the Verge 2013 prize for fiction, appear in the 2014 edition of Award Winning Australian Writing. AWAW is available here.
Hot Desk Fellowship
- I’m thrilled to announce that I am a recipient of a Wheeler Centre Hot Desk Fellowship, sponsered by the Readings Foundation. My fellowship will run from 12/5—19/7/2014, and will be devoted to working on my collection The Love of a Bad Man. Read all the details here.
Interview with Shelf Unbound Magazine
- I spoke to Shelf Unbound magazine about my debut novel, work in progress, and other writing business. Read the full interview here.
The Wood of Suicides (Cyber) Launch
- Help me launch my first novel by joining and sharing my event on Facebook. I’ll be posting reviews and publicity (and maybe a few sneaky excerpts) there all through January.
antiTHESIS #23 Launches
- After a year of hard work, me and my fellow antiTHESIS editors launched issue #23 last week. Find out more about the journal here.
Verge 2013 Fiction Prize Winner
- My story ‘Fireflowers’ won the Verge 2013 prize for fiction. Read about Verge 2013 here.
Reading at the Moat Café
- I will be doing my first ever reading at the Moat Café on Monday 17/6/2013, as part of The Wheeler Centre’s Debut Monday program. Find more information about the event here.